Giving that costs nothing now
Through a provision in your will or living trust you can make a gift to United Way of South Sarasota County in the form of cash, securities, real estate or personal property. There are many types of bequests. Consult with your attorney to choose the one that best fits your needs and intentions.
- Include a bequest to UWSSC in your will. You can make a bequest unrestricted or direct it to a specific purpose. You may even indicate a specific amount or percentage of the balance remaining in your estate.
- Retirement Assests and Other Funds
- Naming UWSSC as the beneficiary of a retirement plan assest, such as an IRA, 401(k), or 403(b), supports UWSSC's mission and is tax-efficient
- Beneficiaries of your Retirement Plan or IRA
- Designate UWSSC as a beneficiary of part or all of your qualified retirement plan or your IRA. While the assets in an IRA or other retirement plan will be subject to both income tax and estate taxes, naming UWSSC as a beneficiary of a percentage or all of your plan that portion will pass to UWSSC free of income or estate taxes.
- Life Insurance
- Name UWSSC the beneficiary of an existing insurance policy by using the insurance company's beneficiary designation form.
Gifts that pay you back
These gift vehicles can provide income benefits comparable to-- or in some cases exceeding-- those that might be earned in non-charitable vehicles. Many donors establish life income gifts with assets that are producing a very small amount of income, such as cash or appreciated stocks that do not earn dividends.
- Charitable Gift Annuities
- You can turn other assets, such as cash, stock, CDs, and savings bonds, into a gift to UWSSC that provide income to you or you and a loved one. Your charitable gift annuity will return fixed, quarterly payments for life and provide tax benefits, too.
- Charitable Remainder Trusts
- A charitable remainder trust provides income to you for life or a term of years and is distributed to UWSSC when the trust terminates.
Gifts with immediate impact
These popular giving vehicles make an immediate impact on our community through United Way of South Sarasota County.
- Stocks and Other Appreciated Assets
- When you donate appreciated stockes, bonds, or mutal fund shares instead of cash, your gift costs you less than the amount UWSSC receives. You will be entitled to a charitable deduction for the full amount of your gift and avoid the impact of capital gains taxes. This strategy also works with closely held securities.
- You may make a tax-free gift from your IRA. For individuals 70 1/2 and older, you may transfer up to $100,000 directly to UWSSC and avoid any income tax on the transfer.
- Donor Advised Funds
- You may name UWSSC as a beneficiary of your donor advised fund or make current gifts to UWSSC using a donor advised fund by simply contacting your fund administrator.
- Real Estate and Other Gifts
- Similar to stock or other securities, you may make a gift of real estate or other appreciated property to UWSSC. You will be entitled to an income tax deduction and avoid tac on capital gains. This may also reduce estate taxes in the future. And you ma even use your home to support our mission and still live there as long as you wish.
For additional information about planned giving opportunities at United Way South Sarasota County, please contact:
Vice President of Philanthropy
941.484.4811 ext. 106